Monday, March 8, 2010

a green philosophy.


I, Caitlin Nicholson, have decided to start a blog.


That sounds really official, right?  Well everyone (maybe no one depending on who decides to read this), this blog will probably be anything but official.  Don't expect to find any well written, catchy, classy, or politically correct information on this blog.  I mean come on, who wants to read about that boring shit anyways?  I guess now would also be a good time for a disclaimer: there will probably be profanity all throughout this blog.  Sorry.  I personally don't see anything wrong with using 'harsh' words to get a specific point across, and since this is my blog I also don't feel any need to refrain.


So, you may be asking yourself now, "What the hell is she going to be writing about?"


Good question.  


In general, I will be writing about any kind of everyday things I've decided are interesting enough to note.  After all, this is basically a way of cataloging my thoughts in order to reflect on them later, which in a way, could be considered experience error by a phenomenologists standards (but there will be much more on that later).


More specifically, the things that interest me enough to note here will typically be philosophical contemplations (often stemming from the courses I'm currently taking, and casual conversations with like-minded folk) and interesting things pertaining to gardening.  While I am, on the one hand, obsessed with philosophy, I am also (almost equally) obsessed with the 'go green' movement of this generation.  I think that it is extremely important to support any movement that promotes environmentally friendly actions and sustainability.  My specific point of interest is with locally grown/raised organic food.  Gardening is an ancient act of humanity.  Our species was able to evolve and grow so quickly due, in part, to our ability to reap and sow the earth-to cultivate and sustain ourselves through agriculture.  Such a practice is sacred and distinctive to our species.  Sadly, in recent years, due to our exponentially excessive nature, the food industry has turned something so wholesome as a fresh fruit or vegetable into an antibiotic/hormone filled, chemically coated, unnaturally large freak of nature. 
 It is time that we get back to our roots.  Thankfully, people are starting to see that this is not the way to nourish our bodies.  


Luckily, Charleston South Carolina has a great man to lead the way in the local green movement- Mayor Joe Riley.  He, along with many other supportive and dedicated individuals, started the Charleston Green Committee which has made great progress in improving the sustainability of the city.  People have also been starting community gardens left and right!  These are not only a great way to deliver fresh/organic food to the low country, but also to raise awareness of the importance of shopping locally and growing your own food.  I will be trying to post about all the community gardens' progress throughout the season and post progressive pictures.  A good place to look to find out what's going on and how to get involved is Lowcountry community gardens blog.  




So, you may now be asking yourself another question, "What the hell does any of this 'green' shit have to do with philosophy?"


Another good question.  You are really on top of your game aren't you...


Well, to answer your question I would have to say- it has everything to do with philosophy.  I personally have adopted the philosophy of the 'embodied mind'.  This is an idea that is central to phenomenology.  Basically, it is a theory against Cartesian dualism.  Descartes coined the term dualism to refer to the idea that the mind and the body are two separate entities.  Phenomenology rejects this theory and instead insists that our mind is inherently embodied.  In other words, we live and experience the world through our bodies.  Also, we are necessarily embedded in the world.  As put, beautifully by Maurice Merleau-Ponty,
 "The world is... the natural setting of, and field for, all my thoughts and all my explicit perceptions. Truth does not inhabit only the inner man, or more accurately, there is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself." 

If one is to adopt this theory, then it becomes obvious how infinitely important it is that we: 1. care for and properly nourish our bodies, and 2. be conscious of our impact on the world.  For we are nothing without our bodies and the human race is nothing without the resources and energy of the world.  





8 comments:

  1. Love this! I look forward to reading more of your thoughts, insights and beliefs. And way to give a shout out to Mayor Riley; he truly is a remarkable man with great vision and commitment.

    Also, I totally agree that the mind and body are not separte, but indeed embodied. As such, not only is it important to provide our bodies with the proper nourishment, but similarily to provide our minds with nourishment too. Just as harmful chemicals can negatively impact our phyiscal bodies, they too impact our mental being as well. And it is for this reason that we need to be more aware of what we input into our bodies and how it all affects our overall being.

    Further, I think it is worth noting that local, organic goods are often cultivated with more care, responsibiliy and love than other mass-produced, mechanized items. This love and energy is created at the source and permates through the life-cycle until it is finally consumed. With that in mind, it is far better to consume goods filled with love and positive energy, as it will continue its path in the universe through it's new "home" one's body. This unseen energy also has a big effect on how one feels, thinks and lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. its always nice to have a blog when a friend has blog, and i think this may fix our keeping in touch issue...

    i look forward to reading your brain.

    peace and best

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caitlin,
    By reading your blog, I have finally discovered who influenced Kirstie in her "new" thinking. One thing I am curious about is if Kirstie ever told you about what she used to believe and who she believed in. When she was young, her Dad led her to the Lord, and contrary how she recounts the story, it was not out of fear. Her Dad remembers a much different story. It was a very special time in her Dad's life. Do you know how special it was for him to see one of his children come to the Lord?
    It is obvious now that you were the stronger personality, and Kirstie "fell" to your way of thinking. I am so sorry that noone ever loved you enough to share the "truth" with you. The truth is that there is someone who loves you more than any "Being" on this earth. He loved you so much that, even if you were the only "Being" on this earth, He would have still died for you so that one day you could be with Him.
    It is obvious that you are a very intelligent person. Maybe too intelligent, because, you see, the scriptures will confound the "wise". It is such a simple message. I guess too simple for your mind.
    The last couple of years with Kirstie have been very difficult ones. I have gone to bed countless nights crying out to God for our daughter. It is very hard, if not impossible, for two opposing views to reside together. We have been good "parental units" by supporting Kirstie in all of her decisions, even if they were diametrically opposed to ours.
    The last thought that I want to leave you with is a question that we posed to both Ryan and Kirstie and that is: "If in fact Kirstie's Dad and I are wrong in our beliefs, what have we lost? But if, in fact, you are wrong and there is a God, manifested as Jesus, that you are accountable to, what have you lost?"
    I would conjecture that you will have lost everything for eternity!
    The great thing about our Lord, is that he still loves us even though we are yet sinners. I would ask that you search the truths of the scriptures so that you too could discover the saving grace that I discovered when I was 21 years old. Up until that time all my knowledge of Him was head knowledge, but I know that He is real because He knocked on the door of my heart, and I invited Him in and He made me a "new" person and changed my life.
    You and Kirstie will be in my prayers daily.
    In His Love, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caitlin,

    You have a kindness of spirit that has always surrounded you.In this spirit you have never been judgemental of anyones beliefs.

    In Lisa and Jeffs comment Lisa wrote"I am so sorry noone ever loved you enough to tell you the truth." Whose truth? Is she so arrogant to believe hers is the only truth? I feel sorry for her.

    I praise your spirit, your wisdom, and your beliefs.

    I love you with all my heart,

    Mom

    P.S. Keep On Blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS IS WEIRD I HOPE IT'S NOT LIKE BLOG WARS OR SOMETHING
    from someone within the Christian paradigm, who does believe in a singular truth, i think that there's some very problematic claims being made 2 posts up, and i have the compulsion to justify my beliefs and present an alternate view, because i don't know why, it seems like a good way to procrastinate.
    1. blame and guilt trips are not where it's at. end point.
    2. there's no such thing as being "too intelligent" to hold a particular view of the nature of truth and which truth is correct if that view of the nature of truth is singular; intelligence is irrelevant to the matter.
    3. truly convincing logical arguments cannot be made for or against a truth-notion, because the very premises that the argument would be based on are assumed to be different than those of the audience, thus the argument is easily dismissed by whoever it is being made to, see: post above. "betting on God" is a down-right crummy way to look at faith, and certainly has the potential to inspire fear rather than love.

    also
    yr mom seems gr8 (alt txt: Caitlin's mom, you seem gr8)

    maybe i just all-out made up some phrases here.
    i'm okay with that.
    also i messed up a word so: repost'd

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cait
    I'm not sure where in this post you rejected monotheistic doctrine. Must have missed it.

    I did laugh at the "Truth" as written with quotation marks. Technically not scriptural or grammatical error but a social faux pas given the common, albeit annoying, usage of physical punctuation to signify something said ironically. I hope I won't be judged for pointing this out as my laughter is now directed towards a memory I have of a Billy Connolly sketch on this particular point.
    I will find a link to the sketch if you want.

    ReplyDelete