Tuesday, March 16, 2010

side affects may include...

Just to put it out there-I am almost positive that I am a sufferer of S.A.D.  For those of you who are unfamiliar with this catchy acronym it stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder.  And guess what else...you probably have it too!  In fact, we all probably naturally feel a change in our daily emotions in correlation with the weather.  Why wouldn't we?  We are always completely affected by our surroundings and our environment.  Our Being is inherently embedded in our environment in a way that is almost ineffable.  Our environment and the stimuli and experiences provided by our environment shape our Being and our personal identity.  The relation is that of a reflective nature.  So, to reiterate the point I was making before-it  seems completely comprehensible and natural that we are all affected emotionally by the changing of the seasons.
The past couple of days in Charleston have, thankfully, been absolutely beautiful!  The other day I was almost squealing with joy to my friends Matt and Jack, as we were on our way to D'Allesandro's* to get some amazing pizza, about how amazing the weather was and how happy it made me.  This is when I proclaimed that I had S.A.D.  But admitting this, for me, was only coming to a clearer understanding of my relationship to my environment.  Unfortunately, the pharmaceutical companies have capitalized on my, rather quaint, realization.  In fact, they even came up with an obviously implicative acronym for such an 'illness'.  All so they can sell me a prescription of some kind that will 'fix it'.
I don't understand the necessity of such a drug.  Sure, it sucks sometimes in the winter when it is cold and rainy for days on end and you begin to feel like a crazy hermit.  This is a completely natural human reaction to the season.  In fact, it is a necessary reaction.  Without the dreary days of rain or cold, how could you come to appreciate the blooming and beautiful days of warmth and sunshine?  Like the Yin and Yang, we need this balance.  It is inherent in the nature of appreciation.  It does us no good to drown out the sorrows of rainy day blues with prescriptions drugs.
I suggest that we all, instead, try to understand this relation of Being and environment so that we can be more at ease rather than attempting to diagnose ourselves compulsively.

On a lighter note...BIG shout to whoever was playing the music at D'Al's on monday-great radiohead playlist at the perfect volume!  Really set the mood for an enjoyable afternoon pizza and $2 glass of Guinness.  Made my day!


"For myself...I could only be grateful for an experience which had shown me, more clearly than I had ever seen it before, the true nature of the challenge and the completely liberating response."
-Aldous Huxley, The Doors of Perception


Jack's choice: 'In Bianco' + basil and pineapple
It was scrumtrulescent!  

1 comment:

  1. how come all i could think while reading this was "i want DL's"?
    very true about the balance of yin and yang. in order to understand something to its fullest we need the opposing force to show us a counterpart.

    also, don't be S.A.D. the seasons are changing and it's getting warmer!

    ReplyDelete