Thursday, April 1, 2010

piece of mind vs. peace of mind

wow.  Quite a beautiful day in Charleston!  The weather couldn't have made it any more difficult to concentrate on school work.




All day I was reflecting on a conversation I had with my friend Yusuf yesterday about the future and how absolutely bazar it feels to be a senior in college.  I was telling him how I always had this preconceived notion of what life was "like" after high school.  "I will go to college, major in something, graduate, get a job doing something related to my major, support myself, get married, have a family, work."-That is pretty much how I thought things would go, in a nutshell.  FALSE.  I was horribly mistaken.  Life is not so predictable.  It is almost as if my presence right at this moment, right as I am typing this, is of a state of happenstance.  I did not know this is where I would be, I had no idea what it would be like to be me at this point in time.  Our conscious awareness of ourselves/embodiment is constantly evolving resulting in an almost unpredictably morphing perspective of the world in which we live and are free.  This state of existence upon realization is both liberating and overwhelming.  I think that Yusuf characterized this state beautifully in saying that we are "actively drifting" through life.  This expression feels so organic and tranquil, while still bearing an air of intentionality and desire.  My constant reflection of this perspective has made it difficult for me to prioritize lately-or at least this is how it feels.  Maybe it is just my evolving nature of being that is causing me to rethink my previous notion of priority.


I am sure of one thing-Charleston is lovely in the spring...

"There's only one instant, and it's right now. And it's eternity"



"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough."



"whatever you do, don't be bored, this is absolutely the most exciting time we could have possibly hoped to be alive. And things are just starting"



"The trick is to combine your waking rational abilities with the infinite possibilities of your dreams. Because, if you can do that, you can do anything."



"Life is a matter of a miracle that is collected over time by moments flabbergasted to be in each others presence."


*all quotes courtesy of the film Waking Life
**all photographs taken by me


No comments:

Post a Comment